01 02 03 HYPERFASHUN: STYLIST DIARIES: STYLING Ms. JAIE 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

STYLIST DIARIES: STYLING Ms. JAIE

34

Hi ya,

So below is a post i wrote a long time ago about a music video i styled, However i didn't put it up because you know, as a stylist, its  important to respect your client's privacy about a job. Wait until its published Nothing like a quick twit pic. Nah. To me its just unprofessional unless of course the client wants you to do so to create a buzz you know.

The video was for Ms. Jaie's song Kilon Poppin. I'm sure you guys must have seen the video by now. The styling was a combined effort by two stylists Myself and Lilian Unachukwu (Liam) on different occasions.

For the sake of those that follow my styling, i'm just going to point out to you guys the part in the video that has my work.

The opening of the video where she walks to the cars and all the club/Night scenes....that's me.

The performance scenes where she has the leotard and corset on,with the dancers, basically all the performance scenes are by Liam

I get excited every time i see it on TV. If you haven't seen it you're carrying last o, go  HERE

Its a catchy tune and i totally love Ms Jaie's voice.

Read my Stylist Diary below. Up and Coming stylists.. you'll find this exciting :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




Tuesday 28/02/12. 9:30pm: I'm home having one of those lazy nites. You know the type when you know there's so much to do but you just want to be lazy for a moment. You've had 2 packs of indomie and a lot of Rubis chocolate wine. You're all bloated and the only thing you wanna do is burp and just keep watching Nikita till you fall asleep! Yep that was me until my phone rang.

The call was from a fashion consultant. she wanted to know if i was available and would be willing to style storm records artist Ms Jaie.  Storm was shooting a video for her hot new single Kilon Poppin. She's like you've heard the song right and i'm like erm yeah i think so. You see i don't watch TV or visit BN so much these days so i never know anything. Just Work- Sleep- Eat. Boring abi?

I later get a call from Jaie's manager and she tells me the video is in 2days wait no! a day and a half cos i got this call like 11.30pm. huh?? seriously. This is too short notice i say! But i never take no for an answer so i definitely try not to say No to people as much as i can. I also love the thrill of a challenge.

 I immediately get to work. There's no time to meet with the artist and ask her all the questions myself so her manager sends me her dress and shoe sizes and the kind of look they were going for which was a bold, sexy but also extremely classy look. blacks, silvers, for Jewellery, golds and silvers. i tell them i 'm going to need her to also bring along a few staples such blazers, tights and bustiers. I wait till morning cos it was too late to call any designer to ask for pulls. You don't wanna be calling people up too late or too early. Very unprofessional. Of course i didn't sleep. I go online, search for Ms Jaie. I actually listen to all her singles. They are all dope and i'm like dude i like this girl o. I look at what she's worn in the past, how she wears her hair, what her audience is like etc. Taking notes all the while. Just trying to get a feel of her personal style. As a stylist its important never to try to loose the personality of your client while doing your job. A client once told me on our first meting. i will never wear a turtle neck even if it was made of Marc Jacobs hair.  I never brought a turtle neck around her.

Wednesday 29/02/12. 7am:  I'm out of the house, i head to the island all the while driving and making calls here and there. i pulled from Eclectic by Sasha, Obsidian, House 38 and Republic of Foreigner. Jewellery from my personal collection, and Beautique Online. Pulling in Lagos short notice like that, is maddd cos you have to deal with traffic, getting a hold of people etc.  after all my pulls, i head to Park and Shop cos i need to stock up on pins, clips, tape, glue etc. i don't find everything i need, so i roll up my sleeves and head into the ever dreaded Balogun market. *sigh*. its about 7.30pm and i'm heading home thinking all this better fit because remember, i did not do a fitting as there was no time. I call Jaie's manager again. "Dont forget to bring the staples i asked for pls". I get home lay out all my pieces, make sure the clothes are well steamed etc. I say my prayers and finally get some sleep.

Thursday Morning 01/03/12: Its the day of the shoot. Venue was on the Island as well.  To beat the Lagos traffic, i leave home at least 3hrs before all of my appointments and today was no different. Me i hate when people give excuses for being late so i don't need to be giving one. Anyway she had to meet me earlier than the rest of the crew so we could do a quick fitting. Some of the clothes we liked for like if she was performing.. and the others didn't just sit right on her . I dash to Zara at Silverbird. Nothing at all for me there. Stylist nightmare part 1. Gheuns! Hian! Thank God i asked for staples earlier. Also we make a few calls. We are able to get a few more pieces and all was well in the world again. You see, no matter how much stress you have to go through doing what you love, at the end of the day it doesn't even matter at all. It didn't matter that i had to drive myself to crash at a friend's place at 2AM as that was when the shoot ended. It absolutely doesn't count!

Truthfully and honestly, when i'm working i just never take pictures. I don't know why. These photos here were taken with other people's cell phone camera's which they kind of transferred to me. If i find more photos from the shoot i'll post them on here. We had about 4 looks but i dont have images of them all. Manage pls.








Look how washed and stressed out i am. Lmao. Too shocked for words gaaaaad!

Thanks to Beautiqueonline for letting me pull at such short notice. See their site here  Also thanks a bunch to Julie of Chrome for the back up outfits and to House 38, Republic of Foreigner, Obsidian and Ecletic by Sasha. Literally gave them only a few hrs notice. Also to Chinelo of  http://fashionati.wordpress.com/. she assisted me on the shoot. xx

35 36 37 38